Saturday, January 5, 2013

Friday, January 4

Friday lesson with Kathy:

"Today Elizabeth explored several strategies of getting a reluctant Try to move more forward. She didn’t think she wanted to play with us. When dealing with this problem, we were not asking for flexion or stretching into the bridle. You have to have forward energy first to bring the horse’s back up and allow the energy to flow through the topline and bring the horse into the bridle & onto the bit. So we began by moving the HQ through partial disengagement, then I had Elizabeth canter around the whole ring in a ½ seat. Long straight lines often appeal to the horse and create the desire to go more forward.

 Elizabeth had to focus on keeping the energy from the canter as she asked Try to trot. We , again, used the whole ring to continue to build the forwardness in the trot. Then I had Elizabeth use her weight aide to ask Trye to maintain energy and come into her “Happy rhythm” where the horse in maintaining an energetic tempo that feels like it will go on forever. When Try reached her “Happy Rhythm”, she was blowing, licking and chewing and looking happy and relaxed; a huge difference from how she began the session. We ended on that note. Success is not always measure in big or dramatic breakthroughs; sometimes it is just reinforcing the concept of FORWARD – first, last and always!"



Thanks Kathy. Between weather and holiday events, Try and I haven't spent much time together and our connection was not as good. Try, as LBI and with her past history, can easily be fairly obedient but not motivated. Thank you for using canter and long lines to help her find the motivation and comfortable strides.

I have filmed the past two lessons. Above is a short clip from the past lesson where Try is moving forward quite nicely. The first video I learned that I want to improve my position in the trot. More forward from the waist and little push from the hips and chest open. Hands quiet and cueing from my elbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment