Today I had intended to get a short clip together of sticking together 101, as I had learned it for Helene as we seem to be very much on the same wave length with developing draw/rappore tho with very different horses. I am impressed with Helene's dedication to Tango and her aptitude for horsemanship: Tango is more extroverted than Try and has situational fears from his rescue background. Try, as an independent LBI who was obedient but not all that bonding--we learned the sticking together game in October 2010 from PP Dan Thompson. We could already do a version of stick to me but the underpinnings were missing--it was sorta obedient but definitely not very responsive.
sticking together 101 basics:
1. Hand on Try's back in zone 3 or 4
2. LIFE UP
3. Focus and point
4. See if she will move off and, if not, use PORCUPINE game not DRIVING by pushing my hip into her hip to cause her to go and then allow and follow her. Of course an extroverted horse may move off immediately.
This was the go-to warmup for Try and I for a long time but neglected recently. After seeing the video I made today, I definitely will be playing with this one until I get a video I like--i.e. with some true syncing.
Anyway the idea is to have Try bond and accept my leadership because I am accepting and mirroring her first.
1. Follow Try and truly sync with her matching her energy, her body position, foot falls, everything I can.
2. When that becomes connected between us, THEN we can trade leaders back and forth.
4. Later still can add changes of direction, change sides, play with different energies, gaits and body parts.
I am playing with Karen Rohlf's Natural Dressage materials this summer and am currently focused on relaxation, a loving tone and doing together so this is a great exercise for us.
Ok so here is what I see happening in the above video in mostly chronological order:
1. Try knows the game and anticipates when I put my hand behind her withers and walks off without my asking. It is good that she knows the game and leads but caveat: she does like to be in control and take over games.
2. I got tense and direct line when she did let allow me to set up the beginning steps slowly and in order as I wanted to do.
3. Try does seem pretty relaxed tho she got cranky when I corrected her and I am supposed to be following and not using the driving game at all when I am following.
4. My stick isn't neutral.
5. I back up as she backs but I am not in sync with her foot falls.
6. I look down but more than she does.
7. I have more energy or a tighter energy in my body than she does. I can really see my concentration in my jaw.
8. I do have some synced steps and it looks better.
9. We both get bored and start alternating leaders and part of the time I am no longer touching her.
10. I had one very sudden halt--not good.
11. When she chooses to go sideways, I am struggling to sync.
12. I lead and we change sides a couple times.
Of course, the corollary to sticking together at liberty is--can we sync with freestyle riding passenger game--with or without a bridle I thought we could demo the position. Again this is about matching and mirroring in every possible way. (The end of the video I was reviewing turning my body with my head in line rather than leading.)
No comments:
Post a Comment