Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday lesson with Kathy - relaxation--mine!

We talked for quite awhile in the beginning and then relaxation--primarily in MY body became the theme.

Discussed:

  1. Liking the Karen Rohlf materials and the loving non-adversarial tone carried throughout. That Try reads my intent which would be to help Try, love Try, enjoy our time together.
  2. Relaxation exercises from yesterday--desire to be relaxed in the canter--Try and I had success Tuesday except coming off the rail.
    1. So my thought was to do small circles in every corner--relaxing in my body etc.
    2. Kathy also suggested counter bends on the rail then off the rail then true bend and leg yield back to the rail.
  3. Asking Katie to video tape in the future.
  4. Kathy is up for our playing thru the Karen Rohlf materials together--discussing, illuminating, applying, etc. I saw this as a bridge between freestyle and dressage but now see it instead as a method to improve my part of being a good friend to Try.
  5. Told Kathy about Try's huge commitment to sticking together without the join up after cantering etc.
  6. A priority for the day for me was to improve my position with open chest and quiet, nicely used elbows, arms, hands etc.
Things I learned:
  1. When I lift my leg or even use my leg to cue, I have the tendency to stiffen my upper body. I want to have a better independent use of my leg from the rest of my body. Also my weight aid should come first then leg aid which should be stronger than my rein aid.
  2. Goal remain relaxed and square in my position.
  3. In turning I still am turning with my head and have homework to do porte de bras to change a habit.
  4. Canter: inside hip firmly down--truly on my balance point and drain my energy when Try picks up speed going down hill.
  5. At the trot Try is already realizing that she can maintain quality going downhill without my lifting the rein.
  6. Trot: exhale on every stride.
  7. Downward transitions: exhale and take my time remaining sitting and then pick up the trot for canter to trot transition.
  8. MY RELAXATION: what body part is tense/awareness while I ride etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment