Friday, May 10, 2013

Thursday

Groom, preparation for lesson: at liberty: HQ/FQ/yoyo/sideways, dwell then freestyle riding prep for lesson, dwell, dressage lesson centering on longer and shorter strides at the trot and finding a good rhythm at the canter.

Discussed using patterns and my not great ability to stick with a pattern with so many things going on in my brain. Kathy suggested 1001 Dressage Exercises book I have on ipad. Later I thought I can pick a pattern--best not too small, nor too many quick changes of rein/direction and Try and I can do it freestyle first to establish it--then later with contact.

Steps in change of rein
1. half halt in my core
2. go straight
3. ask for new bend/turn by turning my shoulders then leg/reins if needed

Lengthening: yes Try and I are far enough along to be doing this. I would ask with increased energy and hips posting at the trot and then ask for relaxation to go back to a regular or working trot.

Types of dressage trots
working/regular
medium
extended (longest, most suspension and highest energy level)
collected

All trots tempo doesn't change just energy and power and through ness.
Lengthening working trot to have more ground coverage, overtracking and top line stretch
Extension is 10x more, medium trot is 5x more.

I did not get time to ask about "back to front"--next time.

Review: I did review notes from lessons with Kathy in 2013

Jan1: Forward energy, long lines to get the energy, finding the happy rhythm. For me more forward in posting trot, chest open, hands quiet cueing from elbows.

Jan 2: Transitions happen from the HQ. Walk/rising trot, sitting trot, walk pattern. When I relaxed and concentrated on me Try really got it. BUT my reins were not short enough for Try to seek a good vertical flexion.

Feb: Rhythm: If sluggish use long lines, my energy, outside leg, laterals. If fast/choppy use shorter lines, relaxation and slowing myself, bending and half halts.

Mar: Watched Lisa last lesson. Soft touch, shorter reins. My abs for dn transitions (half halt), tracking up as part of our warmup. Used HQ partial displacement to bend to get away from always using reins to ask for the bend.

Mar2: When Try gets fast she likely needs help to rebalance and it may not be negative emotion directed to me. Using patterns, staying square in my body, let Try's motion cause my posting. Use my shoulders to turn.

Apr1: Used sideways around the barrel for Try to be straight between my legs with great energy in change of rein. Stay with it when its just Try and I. Importance of backing.

Apr2: Using 1/2 halts to rebalance. Using hill and transitions. Beginning to be able to canter with contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment