Saturday, March 29, 2014

Thursday and Friday March 27-28

Thursday with Try

1.      Sideways away and towards:
a.      Try was so happy to see me after a week. I had decided to play with cleaning up my cueing of sideways away and towards in the field before coming in. Life up and she sidepassed away, a little lean back and ask and she sidepassed to me. No need to teach, refine, reinforce etc. It was simply there!
b.      I need to note that this is not so unusual. After I have been gone Try seems to read my mind. Otherwise, she needs to take time to decide whether she wants to do it and then we will likely have it, whatever it is.
c.      Later on I tested the sideways directions once in the ring with distractions from other horses—the beautiful Devon, magnificent Webster and her fav stallion Richmond in the adjoining pasture. It took a couple attempts to get it. At the end of the session tested it once again—distractions were gone and it was almost as good as the first attempt.

2.     Also on the plan for today was forward from my seat: at first Try backed when I went life up but repeated a few times and from then on forward was back to normal with little urging from my seat.

3.      I only once remembered “where is Try thinking?” and tapping her shoulder.

4.      Passenger—we did not get to that either as I had an appointment in town.

5.      What we did do—was a basic hack in the ring with changes of direction and changes of gait and rhythm within the gait from seat cues.

Friday with Try--"Adventure"

I thought we should do our 50% yeehaw fun and selected going for a long ride off the property as something Try might like as she seemed so happy yesterday to leave her pasture.

The ditch: we may go back to this but today was about fun. I have to decide about the ditch.

Saddled up in western saddle for the first time in many months. (Actually I only use it now if we need if her canter is rough and on the forehand—out of shape—and we need repetition or if I have a lesson/session with someone who might ask for something “crazy.” Try is an incredibly big, powerful horse—I have never felt like I might fall—but with osteoporosis—if I did it could be bad.

Anyway we started up the drive and Try was happy. We got to the gate area and Try spooked (without running off) like she has never done before. It was while crossing the electric fence wiring at the gate and I feared she had gotten shocked. We walked around close to the farm for at least five minutes before she relaxed. Then we walked her favorite direction where a major flatbed truck with tractor and other farm machinery came up—with workers all over the road (big tractor stuck in the mud in the field and major effort underway to get it out). So we turned and went the other direction.

The other direction is Try’s least fav as the road crosses flooding on either side of the road and water is a #1 fear of Try’s. Anyway we were fine with it though Try was very curious looking from side to side the entire time. Then we proceeded to the end of the road where the cows are and where some new construction is taking place before heading back so at least some new scenery for Try although she really just wanted to go home. When we got back I dismounted to go back over the wire and Try was careful not to step on it. Bethanna’s Dad was in the barn and said it should not have shocked Try but he checked it and sure enough it had shorted out and he fixed it. Try and I ended the day with some dwell time in her pasture. Today was supposed to be a fun day but it really wasn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment