Friday, October 10, 2014

Beginning Mary Wanless - On the Bit online study

1. Week one -- Seeking the Reflexes

Noticing what is happening in the moment is all important.
It's all about what is happening in MY body.

Strung bow image and others: Shortening the bottom/ab muscles causes the topline to be pulled into an arc. This requires muscular change though some changes can come relatively quickly. This does not come from focus on head/neck but from more effectively from the RIDER's alignment and biomechanics.

I like the image of circuit of ENERGY best and that there are various points at which the horse or human can break the line of energy. I can expect this to take time. i.e. Until I sit right, my horse can't go right and until my horse goes right, I can not sit right. So we want a positive spiral toward better.

I also liked the image of two water hoses coming up horses HQ to his ears and that we want the water to flow freely. Images of through vary--dominos. For me the feeling is one of UNITY and energy.
The result is beautiful fluid movement. Each horse is different but all horses can do this and it is so much healthier for them.

Another image is stuffing from the back end--when horse inverts he is stuffing the other direction. LOL To me it is a tightness and coming in of the musculature.

So for the rider--NOTICING:
1. I must not be afraid to match the great energy when it comes--I felt I did this better Tuesday than Thursday and I felt proud Tuesday and frustrated on Thursday.
2. The front of my torso must be the same length as the back of my torso.
3. Stirrup length--looking for 45 degree angle.
4. Foot rests lightly in the stirrup
5. Cowboy prongs. seat bones rest and melt into horse--rather than move in walk, 1/2"
6. Extraneous movement is rude and prevents lovely 2 way communication. Pushing with the seat is extraneous movement. Forward comes from legs or tap, tap with stick. Pushing blocks the hoses.

(2 supplementary videos to watch on alignment and plugging in the seat bones)





No comments:

Post a Comment