First lesson in over a month AND first time back actually riding for Try.
Kathy and I began with talking--I mentioned that I have learned from Devon that I use too much energy and in releasing that actually found a couple of incredibly free/floating on air moments with Devon at the trot and canter. Also I shared the following post from Jolene McDowell who is attending the Parelli Instructor Course:
"Think about softness/awareness whenever you are around your horse, even walking up to them. Sometimes when we walk up even to the stalls, we walk like Zeus and blow through their thresholds. We have to learn to feel of and for our horses ALWAYS, even when we first drive up."
"The horses are trying to do it right. Something has
caused them to be resentful. So when they dive, it's because there is peace in
the grass. They are trying to find peace, but it's not there. Hands have to
close slowly, open quickly. This is all about emotional fitness "Don't act
like a predator" "How interesting". That's all about emotional
fitness. The Friendly Game is The Confidence Game."
"The porcupine, you must believe it is going to work or you are screwed at hello"
Carol had us feel the feelings of peace, calm, deep breathing. Then she asked us to feel "dispeace", "displeased". "Your horse can feel that!" Being pleased is a "release" to the horse and it's the release that teaches. Think of being pleased as the release."
"If you are never pleased, you never truly release
the horse. Try to be "pleased" often. That doesn't mean you are
satisfied. That's what keeps driving you to improve. Keep your emotions in
check. Feel pleased." Carol Coppinger
---------------------------------------------
We had an physically easy lesson with three short go's at the walk and trot working on releasing tension in my body and feeling pleased. Try licked and chewed as I worked on myself to relax especially in hips and lower back and let go of pushing Try and instead following Try. I cried after the first go in embarrassment over having ridden for 13 years in a manner where I could only have been frustrating Try and getting in her way.
This relates to what I have been working on in riding Devon/regulating my energy level and passenger lessons with Dan where I completely just follow Try in the posting trot.
I had a breakthru the last go when I found I could keep my body relaxed and ask for more energy in the trot with legs only instead of pushing Try with my whole body/hip tension. Try's response was amazing.
Also I watched the video of BA's flat class with Webster and compared how she looked riding with other riders and the video of my riding. She is so confident and it looks so easy--it looks like she is just schooling the horse and way beyond the level of horse, other riders including me of course. Even though that comes from a level of riding I don't have perhaps I can think of that image and ride with a sense of ease and being above it all, unconcerned with petty worries.
No comments:
Post a Comment