2013 February 18 Dan Thompson – Try
What we did on line:
Sideways on the circle: we kinda
mushed around with this—no problem with 360 just not straight so Dan stepped
in. What I saw: LIFE UP at phase 1, holding Try really close (I never, ever do
that), phases—same as Sunday. Phase 1 lift stick, 2 small circle, 3 broad
strokes toward flank, 4 tap flank and phase 4 is whatever it takes for Try to
care. We then got 4-5 really nice straight steps. I had been creating a not
good pattern by accepting the lack of straightness. It made a big difference
that, although Try wasn’t making a big escape with the shoulder (versus HQ
lagging) when Dan backed her just a bit when he felt a bit of escape happening.
IMPORTANT
S bends—WOW I learned that I had
been adding in a cross step that blocked the flow of the movement: I can work
on this with and without Try and also film myself to change this pattern in
myself. Note: S bend at a canter will result in flying change/ canter in
falling leaf will be simple lead change
Falling leaf: More WOW. I was
cueing the change of direction from zone 1 (which later could be good/more
advanced/can lead to roll backs). Dan taught Try very simply breaking down the
steps of moving toward her HQ to get her to face up enough to redirect—move into
her shoulder. I want to film this also to check that I am always stepping
forward.
What we did riding:
I asked about cueing from
intention while riding. Dan said in effect that cueing from intention is body
language so my weight aids are phase 1. So plan is to take session where I do
very simple things and ask for clear phase 1 then go up in my phases
appropriately to start teaching the refinement. We played with this is S bend
and falling leaf—can Try turn from my upper body? Yes BUT it took big movement
in my torso—start with baby steps and not worry about rider biomechanics that
she should turn from eyes/focus or shoulder until we are ready for that further
refinement. Eyes, belly button etc. Do in my body what I want her to do in hers—means
also be clear about what I am doing in my body so as to not miscue and confuse.
Then offensive sidepass. Lift
inside rein and shape with outside leg and stick. We did this from a diagonal
and also from sideways and then Dan helped us until Try got it—we got a couple
good steps and sideways most successful way to start. This is engaging the HQ
not escaping like in regular sidepass.
No comments:
Post a Comment