Friday, October 25, 2013

Thursday Fun Patterns with Kathy and Devon

Went to the barn about noon as its getting colder in the mornings and dressage ring is free in the afternoon. I spent 20 minutes of dwell time with Try on her right side and she did not attempt to move the position. Just hung out while she grazed.

Then talked to BA about changing Devon to 2x per week instead of 3 and picking up the extras in January etc--providing he is still at Rollover. Also may help her with turn in next Friday.

Then Devon, groom and warmup in the ring. Kathy arrived and we played with dressage patterns and geometry and I am stoked. This is going to be fun. Devon was great about moving off my leg etc. Also I showed Kathy video of Try and I cantering in the bareback pad and my not having an issue sitting the canter. I cantered with Devon and really worked at sitting deeply as his canter is so lovely. I have to admit to some fear at sitting in that position instead of forward and Kathy said it is my position check MY THIGHS are long and relaxed--move them out and down and back in place.

Got back to the barn and BA had clipped Try for me!!

Geometry lesson:
1. diagonals: arrive at the letter with shoulder--okish to zone 3 not terrible if arrive a little soon--judge just thinks I need more precision, bad to be late--shows a lack of preparation. Use legs to stay nicely on course to make this happen.
2. straight on the rail: needs just a bit of bend of the shoulder fore to give the illusion of straightness from the judge's point of view--otherwise HQ appear to be out of line.
3. 20 meter circles: i.e. at C--3 points on the rail for only a couple of strides--again using right or left leg to cue so horse stays straight between my legs on the circle. A 20 meter circle in the middle (not at A or C) is more difficult as there are only 2 points where I connect with the rail.
4. This should be a seamless dance especially in the transitions from one pattern piece to another.
5. I want to practice this with Try--including closing my eyes on a straight line down the center line to feel and correct with my legs AND with my eyes open and a strong focus to see if she is following my focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment