Friday, August 8, 2014

Thursday - MH rode Sephira for the first time!

MH knew some of Sephira's background and I filled her in on more. Truly many unhappy events in her history and burnout on dressage, pressured and then neglected.

MH said she so understands that it happens often that the very talented horses get pushed in that way. MH is  always kind and gentle and concerned with the horse's happiness. She rode walk/trot and then asked if I thought Sephira would be up for canter. I said yes if just enough for MH to get an opinion.

Opinion: Beautiful, talented horse with a sweet disposition. Lovely trot and such an easy canter. Sephira did lick and chew a little at first about being ridden on contact. MH said I have a lovely horse.

MH suggestions for me:
1. Yes, forget about any tricks or upper level stuff!
2. Ride Sephira as I would Try

  • trot--maintaining the rhythm
  • lots and lots of transitions
  • bending--simple--on the circle (inside leg to outside rein if falling in), bend in the corners, serpentine etc. Suppleness will come
  • Canter--perhaps laps for fitness not a priority--better stay in dressage ring and add lots of transitions.
I will check this with MH to see if this is accurate and plan a lesson next week so I can see how it applies to the way I am riding Sephira.


No comments:

Post a Comment