Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wednesday - Devon on a Gorgeous Spring Day!!

Brief day at the barn. Devon (16'2 very successful hunter with some early dressage training--Bethanna's show horse) Devon was in his stall as were several other horses getting ready to show or go to clinics etc. He was asleep when I got there so I gave him a treat and hung out with him a little while so he could wake up. Then a nice grooming--he is so lovely and well groomed. Made me think I should consider what it would take to have Try look really well groomed--she is shedding--her legs were never clipped and she looks a sight.

Yesterday MH had lesson with German fellow new to town and used Try for the lesson as she is so safe and relaxed. She puts her riders at ease. He had said he was a beginner--Bethanna and MH said he and Try rode really well together and that he is intermediate and somewhat the same level as Jennifer and I. He will likely ride Gretzky next as anyone can ride him and, although a hunter, can do first and some second level dressage--perhaps if that goes well even a free lease. Hope that works out--it would be fun to have him as a new boarder. There is a new mare Serafina who had a ?4th level and some grand prix level career years ago with a good friend of MH's but MH says she is sassy and does not like the upper level stuff. Apparently she has been doing nothing and unhappy at some barn so a friend of Bethanna's suggested she come to Rollover so Bethanna and MH can figure out something better for her.

AND Nickers comes Sunday. And MH's new syndicate mare arrives soon. Try will have a pasture mate and MH's yearling mare Mimi will have Serafina and the new mare. Also Bethanna and Jocelyn were not at the barn--off looking at a pony prospect. Gotta love spring and things happening!!

So back to Devon. I remembered on the way to the barn that his sweetness makes me want to be very gentle and loving but then when we get to the ring he can play tricks and test me. So I figured gentle and loving in the grooming and the minute we stepped out of the barn I changed my energy--higher energy and all business. Devon did not play any tricks at the mounting block--either moving out of place OR walking off when I mount.

I was hugely impressed that all the cueing I have been doing with Try Devon picked right up on. forward from my seat. halt from my seat. turns etc.

I kept remembering suggestions I had been given in riding Devon--I found myself getting a bit irritated at a yucky trot--we worked through it but I will ask BA what she would suggest. It takes him time to get going which is fine but it isn't relaxed and wonderful like Try during warmups.

Devon's canter was to-die-for--truly the bareback-on-the-beach kind of canter. He did not break gait but I was able to feel a slow down coming and cue him and stay relaxed about it--no effort. In between cantering directions I come to a trot. He is usually fired up and has a big powerful trot--I love it but BA has suggested not to trot as he is potentially too much horse for me and to walk until he relaxes so we did. I had to use reins a few times to keep him from going from walk to trot. After the second direction cantering we trotted a few strides and then asked for the walk and he made the downward transitions from my saying "aaannnd."

All in all, I did not have to use reins or even much leg for the hack.

Back to the barn and back to gentle energy to sponge him, give him some sugar cubes etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment