Tuesday, February 4, 2014

January

January Summary
·        Me—Setting myself up for success psychologically
o   Goal setting to stay focused and get er done as RBE
§  I want to take homework from instructors and achieve it
o   Using a big positive energy in relationships
§  Works better with both Try and Devon
§  Creates some friction with LBE people
§  My self-confidence is important as negative self-talk prevents me from achieving
§  A sense of “failure” leads to quitting to soon RBE
§  Celebrate the finish line
§  Self-awareness of people (and horse) pleasing
§  Jim Carrey big energy and sense of fun—permission to be RBE
o   My energy varies from day to day and I cannot always pull out that big + E
§  Ie. When I learned news of Dan leaving/worry over Try’s health
§  My brain is sharper some days than others
·        Try
o   HQ flexibility
§  Especially right side—this is improved
§  Difference in HQ yield when FQ are planted and when Try is moving
§  This is priority to Dan and MH
§  Played with cueing and yes if Try wants she moves HQ from a look on the ground and seat cue in the saddle.
§  In Dan’s terminology—she can move HQ with some reservations on the right side. She will move them for me when she wants to do so. We are not putting them to a positive purpose as yet.
§  Methods: level 1, Dan circling online, zone 5 driving wheelbarrow turns, riding—from standstill and leg yields from the ¼ line.
o   Health concerns, psychology
§  Try has been miserable, cranky and angry. She is not lame and it does not appear to be her hocks/join pain. Vet thinks maybe hormones and gave depo shot.
§  When we are together she releases the anger, relaxes and looks lighter by the end.
§  Try knows, knows, knows the games—it is all how much she wants/is willing to do it.
§  Even though I am being aware and releasing the horse-pleasing wimpiness, at the same time I am being aware of Try as LBI to be respectful with cueing and to avoid boredom through drilling. To some extent she just has to do what I want and get over herself.
§  We had some cool fun Jim Carrey moments
§  I put 15-20 minutes each session into doing what she wanted to do. Passenger/dwell/graze.



·        Me as a Rider
o   I can ride Try completely bareback with no bridle, string around the neck or carrot stick—for a short time walk and jog/trot until she gets bored.
o   Cueing
§  I always want to improve this—likely always will
§  Consistency is important!
§  I made a list of how I cue riding as I tend to take this for granted.
·        Even though I thought it was pretty good it seemed to me good to totally rethink how I use my body in cueing if the goal is ever lighter, more refined, more respectful cueing.
·        This led to testing myself for Parelli—“Can Yous?” of can I do upward transitions, downward transitions, halt, back from seat alone. I added testing it from a partial dressage test. Try and I worked on improving this and yes we can do it but lost precision.
·        It is good to stop and fix instead of tolerating a good enuf response.
o   MY FITNESS and use of my body
§  The cueing exploration led to rethinking
§  Dawn Roth and I have been talking about what she is learning in Linda-Land
·        Goal setting
·        Using seat, ab muscles etc.
·        Rhythm or forward before relaxation in the scale of training
·        Downward transitions to think forward
·        Using pommel in rising trot to build stability.
·        Grounding (not grinding or over weighting) feet in stirrups
·        Draping thigh and inner spiral of the leg
·        Thumbs press on reins
§  This led me to getting Mary Wanless’s most basic book on kindle
·        I love this and Linda’s use of seat muscles and lower abs—from dance I know know know how important this is to stability
·        I have not yet figured out all of this book but so far this is my idea of how to ride
o   Shoulder/hip/heel alignment, leg angle, release cheeks to be parallel in legs
o   Seat bones, and pad of muscles around them engaged and connected to lower ab engagement
§  Seat bones point down and connect with the saddle and only move slightly forward and back to cue.
§  Canter—with Try in bareback pad with my legs way front I can connect seat bones with her. In dressage saddle I struggle with this and pop out of the saddle when her rhythm changes. With Devon I can stay in saddle with big wipe of saddle until I get tired when rest in two-point when find the big wiping motion again.
o   Shoulders up, down and back to open chest while ribs knit inward and connect to those ab muscles
o   Thumbs, elbows connect to ab muscles
o   Collected overall energy in the body
·        Whew and getting that done HOW?? Can’t think about that constantly when riding. Pilates dvd really sets me up for good position/strength.
·        BA calls this being tight.
·        When I rode Devon I realized to sync with him requires more strength and stability in my body than riding Try.
·        I lose position in cueing, transitions and horse changing his/her rhythm.
·        I will not fix this entirely in the saddle—this will require homework away from the barn.
·        Distract myself, my having fun, getting more energy or varied energies from Try
o   Early in January I played with music riding and stick-to-me
o   Dawn suggested making a dream list of fun with Try.
§  Bareback and bridleless cantering on the beach
§  Galloping through the field
§  Big high energy play
§  Visiting with Try while she lies down
§  Connected energy for both of us—coming up through her topline while riding completely bridleless.
§  Mostly I think I don’t know how to have fun
o   Try’s monotone
§  Stick to me with music
§  Online circling and riding for rhythm—drive her til we get the rhythm I picture and then allow
§  Loosen the spring—lengthen gaits—especially in the field
§  Kathy’s serpentines
§  Doing the unexpected every session
§  Something new every session



No comments:

Post a Comment