Roscoe and MH's babies: So impressed with what Dan was able to accomplish while explaining it for all of us with such a sense of fun and joy for us. Roscoe hugely improved on Wednesday the second day. Interesting to compare how much farther along Roscoe is than the babies.
Part of me wishes I had that skill to do the fixing of emotional issues and/or work with young horses--there is a reason that few Parelli instructors are licensed to work with problem horses or young horses. Honestly I don't read the horses that well, quickly enough or have the timing although I know so many of the games and alternate ways to play. Even with the number of years of Parelli study I have under my belt, I can not read horses as well as Bethanna who is not a student of PNH. I need to come to grips with the fact that I will not achieve the level of horsemanship of Dan or Bethanna nor will I have the knowledge of dressage of Kathy or MH.
Try and I and Dan (and Lisa observing):
We went last and had a riding session as we did not get to that on Tuesday. I like the clarity I am gaining from talking with Dan and Dawn about where I am at--my dislike of riding with even the soft feel.
So began the session and ended it that my plan now is
1/2 my riding each week to be the yeehaw, fun, freedom, not thinking, let loose time
1/2 my riding for precision as both Try and I like this when successful. This precision to be aimed at a new mind set for me about cueing in riding--awareness and consistency but a program to get away from using the reins and legs and toward using seat and weight cues.
For this session we picked the precision rather than yeehaw--perhaps because the ring was muddy again and footing iffy. Dan challenged Try and me to back up from seat cues. We can do this but not consistent and it wasn't working. We could do it with seat and then light rhythm of carrot stick to tell Try what I was asking BUT if I had been consistent she would have been sure that seat means backing--though there is always the issue of druthers (control/reinforce). Dan suggested an intermediate alternative--so cueing for backup from wheelbarrow backing game:
1. Life up--go slow so it can register
2. Back in my body--again slow, distinct step
3. Porcupine touch with one leg and release, again slow and clear
4. Repeat with other leg
5. repeat legs
6. if she wants to go forward instead of backing--lift the rein--do not pull back to cue a backup
I did get to experience twice the sense of closing my eyes and feeling us in sync with my leg and hers in the backup. Initially before I slowed down I caused Try, who cares so easily, to get emotional. RBE in a rush.
Homework: take my cuing lists for riding out and fill out the steps/phases/caveats/etc. Will email them to Lisa to provide built in discipline.
Next I mentioned a remaining "fear" Try has is opening and closing a gate. A claustrophobia--perhaps from pushing into the gate/barrier--complicated by my LBI/RBE get er done/rushing. I thought the issue might be my leaning on her right side but I changed my mind. There is only one (or two) gates on the property that can be opened/closed from horseback so I have found I can practice this on the rail at the judge's stand. Try will sidepass in to pick me up to mount and be very relaxed but not with me on her back. SOOO go slow, smaller chunks, build confidence and relaxation in the smaller chunks.
Playing with the gate concept--I initially just rode up to the rail and leaned over and Try stepped away. Dan asked--"What is the only thing I didn't care about in that maneuver? Dan said I would not like the answer and I didn't and I still don't--the answer the only thing I wasn't caring about was TRY. I so want to change this!!!!!!!!!!
At the end Dan said for me to TRUST MYSELF!!
So began the session and ended it that my plan now is
1/2 my riding each week to be the yeehaw, fun, freedom, not thinking, let loose time
1/2 my riding for precision as both Try and I like this when successful. This precision to be aimed at a new mind set for me about cueing in riding--awareness and consistency but a program to get away from using the reins and legs and toward using seat and weight cues.
For this session we picked the precision rather than yeehaw--perhaps because the ring was muddy again and footing iffy. Dan challenged Try and me to back up from seat cues. We can do this but not consistent and it wasn't working. We could do it with seat and then light rhythm of carrot stick to tell Try what I was asking BUT if I had been consistent she would have been sure that seat means backing--though there is always the issue of druthers (control/reinforce). Dan suggested an intermediate alternative--so cueing for backup from wheelbarrow backing game:
1. Life up--go slow so it can register
2. Back in my body--again slow, distinct step
3. Porcupine touch with one leg and release, again slow and clear
4. Repeat with other leg
5. repeat legs
6. if she wants to go forward instead of backing--lift the rein--do not pull back to cue a backup
I did get to experience twice the sense of closing my eyes and feeling us in sync with my leg and hers in the backup. Initially before I slowed down I caused Try, who cares so easily, to get emotional. RBE in a rush.
Homework: take my cuing lists for riding out and fill out the steps/phases/caveats/etc. Will email them to Lisa to provide built in discipline.
Next I mentioned a remaining "fear" Try has is opening and closing a gate. A claustrophobia--perhaps from pushing into the gate/barrier--complicated by my LBI/RBE get er done/rushing. I thought the issue might be my leaning on her right side but I changed my mind. There is only one (or two) gates on the property that can be opened/closed from horseback so I have found I can practice this on the rail at the judge's stand. Try will sidepass in to pick me up to mount and be very relaxed but not with me on her back. SOOO go slow, smaller chunks, build confidence and relaxation in the smaller chunks.
Playing with the gate concept--I initially just rode up to the rail and leaned over and Try stepped away. Dan asked--"What is the only thing I didn't care about in that maneuver? Dan said I would not like the answer and I didn't and I still don't--the answer the only thing I wasn't caring about was TRY. I so want to change this!!!!!!!!!!
At the end Dan said for me to TRUST MYSELF!!
No comments:
Post a Comment