Because I was rethinking cueing on line and liberty, on Saturday we did a few simple things out on the road--maneuvering bad footing even to walk out there. Also grazing and dwell time and a bit of grooming. Try seemed much more pleasant so depo shot may have kicked in.
Sunday--I decided to film some cueing--ready with a plan of a couple games and a review of our phases. It was just awful and I think I am going to delete the film altogether and attempt to erase it from my mind. We did this at the top of the hill in her pasture as that was the driest spot.
Try was relaxed, pleasant, tuned out, anticipating, offering whatever, not waiting for my cueing but moving with no energy whatsoever. I ended up with some big phase 4s to try to catch her attention. I would have preferred using some big circling/movement games but was worried about footing.
All in all Try seemed happy to be with me. She did not seem unhappy until I asked for a trot in figure 8--then I saw bursts of anger. I did not want her to get too wound up for safety issues but NEEDED a session to wake her up and get us back on track.
ok here it is: yoyo, sideways, draw HQ only, figure 8
Really I think she does not WANT to do any Parelli games or any dressage riding--perhaps boring, perhaps doesn't want any pressure, perhaps does not want physical exertion. She does WANT to do games on the ground when she has an audience or is at a clinic with other horses. Strangely, she seems to love to show off what she can do. Last summer we had a 1.5 hour liberty session in the field with Dan Thompson (and an audience of 6 people) and Try was tuned in and happy the whole time--loved being with everyone and seemed to love being the center of attention. ???
I don't think retiring (Try will be 23 in April but is in good health.) is a good alternative for either of us--I need to have a horse and she needs continued moderate physical fitness and mental challenge and stimulation.
While Try and I have been together she has always had a good level of moderate fitness. Also she is never ridden for fitness more than 20 minutes three times a week. She is never pushed for fitness like the competing hunters or dressage horses at the barn.So what is she complaining about? Is it just boredom or is there a physical issue that can't be identified? She isn't physically ambitious just obedient up to a point then angry expressed by extraversion.
This goes in cycles--i.e. new instructor, new material and ideas and some intrigue--followed by boredom and anger in a few months??? Is this the pattern--or is there a hormonal pattern of tension/anger in August and in the winter?? Does she just not like unpleasant weather??
Positives: I did not look fat or old on the video. LOL I did get the filming done. I have reorganized all my horsemanship files on my hard drive and done quite a bit of horsemanship study. I have spent dwell time with Try that she seemed to enjoy.
OK So how to be positive about this dilemma?
1. I have an obligation to Try's physical health
2. February could be passenger and dwell only
3. We could take one basic level 1 on line game to clean up each time I see her.
4. I could take February off completely.
5. I can ride Devon once a week--soon the footing should permit at least walk and careful trot in the ring.
6. I can listen to music on passenger rides
No comments:
Post a Comment