Monday, May 5, 2014

Saturday - video Sefira

Having watched the video from Saturday:
  1. Sefira is safe for me to ride!
  2. I want this coming week to be all about getting in sync with her big trot
    1. Hold the pommel or hay string to steady myself especially going into the trot
    2. The more vertical I am the better--being forward puts me out of sync and yet the big trot puts be forward.
    3. For the canter--sit on my pockets and follow
  3. Also as we are just getting to know each other cueing transitions is important to communication
    1. I am going with using reins lightly to cue downward and it is working
    2. Next I want to visualize, change my energy, sit deep and then use reins lightly if needed
    3. Sefira does look for downward transitions and is slower to get the upward transitions.
    4. Review in my mind carefully asking for trot and canter
    5. When Sefira goes into the trot or canter I need to check for excess energy that she may have and was my overcueing the cause.
  4. Be aware of using reins/half halts/leg nagging--I want to create a good relationship. consider rein length and either loose reins or be in connection with her mouth so as not to bounce reins on her mouth.
  5. Transitions, breaks, stretching
On the ground: She was relaxed, she did lick and chew at the back up which is good for building some respect--perhaps I can build that on the ground as I get to be a better rider for her.


Book on horse personality:
Sefira: left brain and more intraverted than extraverted thus far. Both riding and in the pasture with her yearling RBE pasture mate.

Characteristics to consider:
1. Is she innately sluggish--no
2. Can I make her lazy by micromanaging--absolutely
3. Sensitive and quick to take offense--yes--on the ground more so than Try

Gender
1. Yes it is obvious when she is in season--I don't know how it affects her as yet.
2. Yes I would expect her to be less tolerant of poor riding and become cranky--ears/tail swishing.
3. Yes I hope she expects me to use subtle aids and the sooner we work that out between us the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment