Saturday, May 24, 2014

Thursday - took a spill

Lovely grooming session with Sephira: no one on the farm but me. Very relaxed, soft, no opposition reflex.
Mounting and warmup walk and trot went really well.

Hmm--as I remember Sephira felt soft to me on Tuesday when I brought her in for vet--shots, coggins. Relaxed after Monday Parelli on line with Marie also. Tuesday BA commented that she has perfectly happy with BA brushing her forelock. But energy really changed with the vet--over shots/drawing blood or even energy she was picking up for vet. When I walked her back to pasture her energy made me nervous. I realized in a bit that I forgot her flysheet and went back and put it on her at liberty and she was perfectly lovely about it. So the +/-'s come and go relatively quickly.

Kathy arrived for lesson and I got her to hold Sephira while I made quick errand. That broke the energy we had going. Sephira would back at the mounting block. Warmup with Kathy ok as I remember it.

I was too tired and it took me awhile to understand what Kathy was asking with little 1/4 turn on the haunches with Sephira--when I got my weight right I did not need reins!!

However I was too tired and couldn't keep all my body parts working correctly and was quietly crying. I should have stopped.

About 30 minutes into the session we were trotting tracking left coming around the curve toward the tree when Sephira took a big stumble and I came off. Little hip soreness and shoulder majorly painful. Sephira just stopped near me. I was very glad that Kathy was there as it would have been difficult for me to get Sephira back to the barn by myself. Both of us spent time reassuring Sephira.

Kathy and I sat at the picnic table and had really good discussion about bridging the gap with Sephira--how to pick what parts of what she knows to build our rappore and what to avoid that might invoke negative feelings from the past.

For humans and horses: creativity requires positive atmosphere (love/fear--one-ness) and then the expression of thought and emotion can occur and horsemanship can be a creative/shared/joint art. The horse can not be a slave--obedient without personal expression. For that matter--neither can the human!! Ballet choreographers that remove the creativity from students through fear and intimidation! AND this means I can not blindly follow any instructor--I must have a relationship where I can be open with my thoughts and it be a shared partnership with common goals.

Kathy and I talked about using patterns as a bridge for Sephira from what she knows to trust. Kathy suggested lots of curved lines for suppling as her shoulders are stiff/tight. While I am at it I have my own shoulder issues which can be getting in my way and my horses' as well. WAKE UP CALL HERE. Kathy suggested repeat the exercise we did with mini turns on the haunches. Also careful not to throw her away with the reins. That Sephira is not ready for me to her straight--??--need to get clarification on that--because of stiffness in FQ?? Mental stiffness??

Followup: first fall in 3 or 4 years and never from Try! Shoulder sore, feeling a bit feverish and nauseated Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun. Monday: feeling better, range of motion nearly back to normal, much less pain. This is scary and makes me feel old. Bruise in photo




No comments:

Post a Comment