Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tuesday - Surprise Lesson with Kathy

Today was a day for Sefira and I.

We went out back to the paddock and I took everything off Sefira. I have decided we will learn for now at liberty to help me be sure I am not forcing anything on her in her mind. Interestingly she kept coming up to me when I intended dwell time. Took the kid stick and ribbon and today she was fine with circling the ribbon onto her back. Well, why not? She is a confident horse--just unconfident I guess about sticks/crops/whips/etc. So mission accomplished--went inside for grooming.

MH loaned me her County saddle as my Wintec has served its purpose and headed out to the ring to play when Kathy drove in. We had a misunderstanding about the day for lesson--I thought it was with Try on Thursday. It was fine. Kathy was very happy to meet Sefira.

What we did:
1. walk--lovely on the buckle--then took a soft feel to test maintaining rhythm and relaxation then alternated soft feel and on the buckle. Repeated at the trot.
2. suppling for relaxation: asking for a little bend/HQ displacement then release
3. using just my body on the short side for straightness/versus falling in and for staying on the curve of circling.

I look forward to playing with this just Sefira and me.

Kathy said Sefira was licking and chewing and seemed happy. She felt relaxed to me except for a few moments toward the end when I believe she may have been thinking she had enough. Kathy said she looked really happy to be pampered with shower, etc. in the wash stall after the ride.

I am gradually getting more comfortable and less "fear" so hopefully Sefira will be able to feel that and we can both just keep getting happier and more trusting of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment