Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Tuesday - First ride with Sephira

Today I rode Sephira for the first time since my accident. I was afraid and still have fears that I am now too old to ride such a horse. However it went well.

Mounting: Easy--she stood and nearly went to sleep before we walked off. She will walk from a stand still from my seat cue alone. After walking a considerable amount of time we alternated walk with trot. I did not trot for long at a time to protect my shoulder. I was pleased that some how I seemed the most in sync ever  with her big trot. Several hints for safety--

1. Riding on my balance point in the trot rather than forward as in hunt seat. (more vertical posting).
2. Making a new habit to have my legs resting against her side in case I might actually need them. LOL
3. BA recommended to trot with soft feel to help both of us.
4. My 9 points pilates--alignment especially open rib cage--

So the good stuff:

  1. I rode and trotted.
  2. I overcame fears
  3. I synced with the trot
  4. She was a partner for me in mounting, dismounting and learning lighter cueing
  5. She is backing from the nose at what would be the traditional phase one--touching the hair.
Priorities
  1. Time to step away from treats before she becomes a cookie monster
  2. Check list for porcupine game and maybe driving for HQ??
  3. Continue riding so we can be partners/on the same page/communication/connection
  4. Baby oil bath? for dry coat
Interesting:
Sephira does not lose connection with me BUT she could learn to be connected and still play against me! She is curious and playful and confident. Try on the other hand can drop the connection and pick it back up quickly which is actually quite useful--when I need to focus elsewhere she can just relax and take a snooze.

No comments:

Post a Comment