Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Cold weather day--goal setting with Dawn Roth

Dawn Goal Setting
2013 12 7
After discussion of my thoughts on long term, one year and 3 month goals, we started into what will be on the white board.
First rate myself 1-10 on my confidence--
·       Horse development 6
·       Riding 6
Next set up 4 boxes—each getting 25%--talent, skill, try and luck. I gave myself 20, 10, 22, and 22.
Also at the top of the board will be the big picture. In no more than 3 sentences, state the WHY that I am doing this. What do I want to accomplish, feel good about. This is to remind me each day of why I am doing this.
I am pursuing horsemanship to fulfil a personal need for a passionate pursuit of combined intellectual, emotional and physical growth, learning and achievement. I want to put this to purpose to help horses and promote good horsemanship
The board will change only once a week.
Next to pick 4-7 concepts—tasks to achieve each—the how--will fall underneath the concepts as tasks.
1.     I want to help Try become more supple and flexible in right side HQ yields.
2.     I want to get out of my head when I am riding, have fun, be free and be in the moment.
3.     I want to use my body as a rider more effectively to cue lightly and effectively first with seat cues and next with leg cues.
4.     I want to expand our comfort zones by releasing my worry of her being happy and engaging my LB self to not quit until we both win. This will make it possible for me to be successful without an instructor present.
5.     I want to expand Try’s mental fitness and attention span to allow the time to achieve learning.


I.                 HQ yields on right side strategies
a.     Circling game online with driving HQ a la Dan Thompson
b.     Be careful to have smooth slow step not emotional or bracing.
c.      Check if inside leg doesn’t really cross over outside—bracing?
d.     Check my tea for two NOT just for responsiveness and light cueing but also for that smoothness and slow control and confidence.
e.     When Try gives a really good step—reward, release or game over followed by time to process.
f.       Riding on the circle and asking for HQ partial displacement—Kathy/MH
g.      Check notes for other exercises to check for quality of HQ yield
h.     Videotape
II.               Riding—feeling instead of thinking, being mentally free strategies
a.     Ride to music
b.     Ride in the field for fun
                                                    i.     Variety and transitions within the gaits
                                                  ii.     Lengthen and shorten
                                                 iii.     Yeehaw—loosen the spring—turn her loose
c.      Sing songs while riding to shift my mental focus
d.     Trashing the exercise, ride as different characters
e.     Swooping, “Skiing” serpentines
III.              Using seat and leg cue strategies
a.     Can Yous
                                                    i.     Upward and downward transitions from seat alone
                                                  ii.     Backing
                                                 iii.     Turning
                                                 iv.     Play million transitions game
b.     Apply to a “homework” exercise and be conscious of cueing as first priority.
c.      Do in my body first what I would like her to do in hers.
d.     Light leg cueing may release the habit of lifting my heel.
IV.             Releasing myself from worrying about whether Try is happy expanding our comfort zones:
a.     Be psyched and have the right energy about myself
b.     Jim Carrey sense of fun – energy- getting it done.
c.      Again use music and playlists with variety (cut down on length of pieces)
d.     Visualize, relax and keep going with an attitude of pleased
e.     Just do it Try!
V.               Expanding Try’s mental fitness strategies:
a.     Read the moment and quit before she is bored
b.     Come back to it
c.      Pat and 30 minutes on the rail concept to remember
d.     Take my time and allow for questions and conversation
e.     Teach something new each week
                                                    i.     Could be an ongoing task that could be brought out once a week to avoid the dreaded every day repetition
                                                  ii.     Picking up something
                                                 iii.     Check idea list
f.       Avoid being boring and losing Try mentally while expanding her attention span.
g.      Issue: harder to read horse in the saddle—videotape
h.     Look for positive responsiveness

i.       Reread my ??2009LBI filling her bucket notes for ideas to discard.

No comments:

Post a Comment