Monday, January 27, 2014

Sunday Downward Transitions and Canter - Oh My

Finally a good weather day.

Because vet says its not hocks etc but likely hormones bothering Try, I decided that I can go back to active learning goals for Try and I.

One of our issues is downward transitions.
1. I fall apart especially from canter to trot.
2. Try: it is a goal for her to be using her HQ and to have smooth transitions
3. Dawn suggested think forward in the transition--I have probably been thinking halt.

A basic exercise
1. On the rail from a standstill, my life up, lean back a little, bend knees to signal Try to back. Yes she gets that--the issue is a good energetic back--we backed (carrot stick) until we got the energy. Then repeated twice and it got better each time. Rest, treat.
2. On the rail, walk then halt and back--some progress here as well.
3. Next time: trot, halt and immediate back up with energy is the goal.

Riding: Warmup on the rail walk/trot--good energy. Lots of activity in the ring--good looking geldings etc! Try had plenty of energy--in fact they were all really fresh and full of energy--too much except for Devon who Bethanna was riding--perhaps because Bethanna was the rider.

Next went into dressage ring and put cones down and played with transitions walk to trot to walk to trot. Up and back--point to point from A to C etc. Try only missed one downward transition--we stopped and backed back to the cone with energy--some stick to cue--then turned away went back to start over and from then on she had it.

Just a little walk trot with soft feel and one nice leg yield.

Then canter--Try was wild, Ramone in the adjoining paddock was wild, Gretzky was wild, etc. Decided I needed more space to work it out and went to the rail. Wow. No sign of LBI! I have never thought of Try as ever running away from me but in effect she did. She felt angry, would not settled into a rhythm with little 1/2 halts, and finally took off after Gretzky and I had to pull on the reins to bring her to a trot. WOW!! So we played circing variations on line in the dressage ring. Try settled nicely and was the horse I know. I opted not to go back to riding the canter and left the ring for a long passenger walk.

Upon reflection--the depo shot has not had time to have any effect--I will likely put off getting a nice canter rhythm in the western saddle on Friday as that should give time for depo shot to have some effect and Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday will be bad weather days.

No comments:

Post a Comment