Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Tuesday phone conversation with Dawn Roth


bNotes: Conversation with Dawn 2014 1 21
1.      Cueing list
a.      Do for ground tasks as well
b.      Be consistent
c.      Rethink these as I pull together my ideas of how I want to use my body riding.
2.      Internal/external rotation of hip/thigh
a.      External – I have this stretch and it is not my focus
b.      Inner spiral of the thigh knee and calf—I have learned this in yoga—review
c.      Think of draping thigh
d.      This will assist me, by not being turned out, to have my heels under my shoulders instead of under my shoulder and hip.
e.      Also helpful with this is to think of grounding (not grinding lol) into the stirrups as it grounding my feet in the dirt. Draping down.
f.       Leg in front and external rotation cause me to lose stability. (I think I have thought that the goal was to just balance on my seat bones and not have my legs on or use reins.???)
3.      Recommended exercises:
a.      (Colleen Kelly) Stand in stirrups to walk, trot and canter as part of the warm-up. Trick is not to lean forward to balance but to be in sh/h/h/ alignment including angle of leg. Try this with dressage, close contact and western saddle and photo/video. (In playing with this I had to lean forward to be balanced even holding onto the pommel. Also, I did not like the idea of doing for very long as it put all my weight in the stirrups.)
b.      Another warm-up exercise is wind milling the arms—forward and up, nice and easy, will help to open the chest. Again videotape.
4.      Try and I playing—the monotone
a.      Be unexpected, surprise, tag her, erratic, canter—stop face wait, ok here we go, E off, E on. Short periods of time. After vet visit.
5.      Circling game
a.      Traditional, send/allow/bring back—maintain gait and direction vs driving game
b.      Driving keeps horse engaged, flexible, hocks stepping under.
c.      Use to create rhythm (remember old mastery dvd—young horse Pat and ?) plan, picture, feel. Send until we get the quality of gait I picture and then allow so she knows she has got it. Don’t overdo—pepper in more effort. Should help Try with stiffness. After vet visit.
d.      Allow ut send if she loses it.
6.      Other good games on line for rhythm
a.      Point to point and stop
b.      Use visual of obstacles
7.      Riding warmup
a.      “Ride the line” in open space. I focus eyes and body on a point and stay on it with a soft touch. The goal is for Try to keep her NOSE on that line. Use soft rein connection to put her nose back on the line.
b.     Vary with straight line, circle, zigzag, serpentine. Try knows this—the issue is her desire to play the game.
8.      PC article: horses heart energy connecting with us. Read the article. Magnetic. Energy fields.
9.      Rhythm-forward and relaxation
a.      Let’s be forward—do not nag, ask and allow. Plan pic feel.
b.      Use if necessary thump, thump tap on shoulder.
c.      Goal long top line. Do NOT need contact with reins.
d.     Freestyle—I thought relaxation most important and scale of training should start with relaxation and not rhythm. NO—forward first, Try needs to find her OWN relaxation.
e.      Engaged seat for coming up thru topline—knit ribs to core. Don’t need contact to do it.
f.       See check list that I want to put into an holistic image that works (plan,pic,feel)
g.      Linda stresses pressing the thumb on the reins energetically while fingers remain elastic to soften the connection.
10.   Fitness and nutrition projects great for cold weather to establish habit/practice.
11.   Barrel or ball, yoga, awareness—plan HOW to make it happen once I have the plan and pic.
12.   Downward transitions from canter to trot. Think forward—I feel sure I have been thinking slow and back. Of course, I still need a lesser energy, slowing in seat for a few strides before asking for the transition. Sitting more with HQ engaged and the thought process of forward. How much should my seat move in contact with the saddle in the canter—it moves more with Devon than Try.
13.   Pictures—don’t quit until we get close to the picture or Try will think the wrong thing is the right answer.
14.   Use pommel for stability in posting trot.


No comments:

Post a Comment