---- Elizabeth Pope <ehpope@embarqmail.com> wrote:
> In thinking towards creating that training level musical freestyle for Try
> and I, MH had advised matching music to video of Try for rhythm. After we
> talked yesterday--knowing I would like to create something with at least
> some artistic integrity--i.e. avoid a piece meal group of music with jarring
> transitions--it seemed likely a classical piece with variety that means
> something to me would be my best choice and I prefer classical music anyway.
>
> So I took video of MH and Try as they seem to have such a good rhythm
> together and played on the computer various possible music selections while
> viewing their walk/trot and canter video (which was not filmed with any
> music playing) and found NO Match with any of the music. Just no connection.
> Music would not work.
>
> Next I tried video of Try and I in a lesson with MH and the music FIT our
> rhythm pretty closely walk/trot/canter. (Again none of the video had been
> filmed with any music playing.)
>
> How very curious is that? So a horse is that different with different
> riders. Also, what does that say about the way I ride? My ballet background
> survives within me when I ride? What about when I ride a different
> horse/Devon do they feel the music within me. Creepy!? Truly a new line of
> thinking.
>
Me
> and I, MH had advised matching music to video of Try for rhythm. After we
> talked yesterday--knowing I would like to create something with at least
> some artistic integrity--i.e. avoid a piece meal group of music with jarring
> transitions--it seemed likely a classical piece with variety that means
> something to me would be my best choice and I prefer classical music anyway.
>
> So I took video of MH and Try as they seem to have such a good rhythm
> together and played on the computer various possible music selections while
> viewing their walk/trot and canter video (which was not filmed with any
> music playing) and found NO Match with any of the music. Just no connection.
> Music would not work.
>
> Next I tried video of Try and I in a lesson with MH and the music FIT our
> rhythm pretty closely walk/trot/canter. (Again none of the video had been
> filmed with any music playing.)
>
> How very curious is that? So a horse is that different with different
> riders. Also, what does that say about the way I ride? My ballet background
> survives within me when I ride? What about when I ride a different
> horse/Devon do they feel the music within me. Creepy!? Truly a new line of
> thinking.
>
From: kathy glielmi
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:25 PM
To: Elizabeth Pope
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:25 PM
To: Elizabeth Pope
Why should the horse or you reading each other before thought becomes action is feeling creepy, it speaks to me of a very special bond and understanding of each other on a more primal level. Remember different riders have varying levels of sensitivity to the horse they are riding and visa versa. Some riders want an obedient and technically correct horse rather than a horse who is more connected to you on a spiritual/different consciousness level. I believe that when music is added to a ride it takes the horse and rider to a different level of consciousness and the music helps you both tune into the rhythms & tempos within the music. Try improvisation, what sounds like/feels like it would be fun & interesting to do this or that. Try thinking of lines, bending lines & shapes that you see or feel in the music. Try not to ride a rectangle/ follow the rails all the time. Come in and explore interior space - quarter lines or center lines. I would try this approach rather than writing & riding a test-like format. Let the music shape the choreography rather than a "test like format" that you try and force fit the music to.
My reply:
I think the creepiness is that I have been riding with an inner feeling for classical music playing without realizing it as, of course, there was no music playing at all. I think you are right about improve--at least a looser approach. At some point in time it will be interesting to see if a 20 meter canter circle will fit into a phrase of music or if Try and I can make a transition when the music transitions, etc. Actually on our own we don’t “stay on the rail” much anyway--Try doesn’t like it and neither do I. I loved the swoopy feeling we had that day in the big field when you had us circle back when she got emotional. So starting with pieces of patterns as they express the music seems smarter. I am curious to see if we sync better to music in the saddle than on line and liberty and I am willing to bet we do. LOL I filmed some on line and liberty to music yesterday and it was an eye opener. I was expressing the music in my body and didn’t pretty well at adjusting to different patterns and games but Try was mostly not with the music. I looked very sweet and naïve. I needed more initial mental connection, a better warmup, stronger leadership and a willingness to creatively use phases to wake her up. This is not something I will achieve the next time out.
Sent from Windows Mail
No comments:
Post a Comment