I. HQ flexibility especially on Try's right side.
I was pleased that we explored this consistently all three days on the ground and riding using 1/2 dozen or so different exercises for variety. I mostly remembered to look for relaxed, smooth, unemotional steps. We did get a lot of big steps crossing over outside hind foot--not consistently on every step. Try's right side HQ yields are not as free at least riding. To progress this for next week I would like to continue the wheelbarrow turns on the ground and go back to dressage leg yields with emphasis on the right HQ.
II. Freedom getting out of my head: I want to take this off the list and come back to it later. We did have some nice free moments of stick-to-me/her. Including stopping on a dime was improved. I have seen our syncing with each other really improve since Dan's visit December 20.
III. Using seat cues first.
This is the best review we have ever done. I was not surprised that Try is so good at this but pleased to be thinking of ways to put it to purpose. Also of note--this improved each time as the session progressed.
1. Stopping and cleaning up
2. Using a pattern as a "can you."
3. Clearing up confusion caused by taking out all the other cueing.
For next week--add back in riding with soft feel, legs and see if I can use my phases:
a. Visualize the transition/cue
b. Think relax
c. Ask lightly with my seat
d. More seat
e. Leg
IV Comfort zone: Progress: I was able to think all week about my people/horse pleasing habits and how they hold me back. For next week--I want to add to thinking--finding the strong but relaxed energy I need. With Try I want to consider, plan and use phases to stay with a task until we win it. Also I want to apply this thinking to my people and horse people relationships--a strong confident positive energy--so I am taking control.
V. Try--expanding her mental fitness to do more. We are on our way with IV above. I like seeing and feeling a loose relaxed Try when we ride. Also her lateral flexion at a stand still on right side is amazingly soft and giving. For next week I want to be reminded to keep checking in with her, sync, dwell to balance with using phases.
Also to consider
1. I find a need to change negative messages I give myself:
a. If Try and I aren't doing something at better than level 4 quality, I have failed.
b. When we have a small success, I find something else that needs fixing instead of celebrating the win. "Don't erase the finish line." "When is it Miller Time?"
2. Should "monotone" make its way to the goal list?
3. Should Nickers (LBE pony) come to Rollover now or later?
4. Balance point clean up?
5. What about mounting block pick me up clean up?
No comments:
Post a Comment