Sunday, July 6, 2014

Summary of Second Quarter

Summary of Second Quarter

Try: we achieved a glorious, free trot while framing up a bit. We are happy riding with a soft feel. We achieved a break through in the canter and counter canter with soft feel. BUT most important of all we have reached a GOLDEN time in our relationship whereby its hard to think of a way she can frustrate me. I love just being with Try--it makes me feel so good. I feel totally safe AND the worst thing she can do is WONDERFUL. Also I am wondering about considering what is western dressage?

Sephira: This magnificent mare has come into my life. 16'1.5 warmblood, gorgeous mover, beautiful and very open to connection. She is not as safe as Try as I am not in sync with her big gaits as yet and we do not yet really know each other. She is very confident and very smart. Not as laid back as Try and coming to me with baggage from competition et al much as Try did. She is definitely "mare-ish" and is very clear that she wants to be treated with respect and gently and with love--grooming, tacking up/down and showering as examples. I am thinking she is cusp LBI/LBE. Conformationally her gaits make her feel LBE as compared to Try. But she doesn't play in the pasture, prefers to go slow, happy to stand quietly etc. She is open to the Parelli  on line/liberty and very smart--learns quickly. However she has a dominate streak and can be less responsive than her knowledge would indicate. i.e. she really doesn't want to back. LOL. Because of the fall I took I am riding her from the stand point of creating unconscious competence in using my body to ride safely. I am looking forward to a new saddle that will fit both of us well.

Lessons etc. I have had one session each month with MH--riding Try or coaching us. We have been working on trot quality mostly and also using HQ in the canter. With Kathy we have had five lessons--three with Try and two with Sephira including the infamous fall. We concentrated a good bit on using laterals to achieve desired gait quality. I would like to explore laterals and how light is light. Also a weekend with Joey Barley which was a break through for Try and I on trot quality. And a session with Dennis Callin that was a break through in canter and counter canter with a soft feel and sitting the canter in the wintec saddle! Five coaching sessions with Dawn with great riding hints that helped as well as helping me to get out of ruts of negative thinking over the shoulder and associated fears. I had two sessions with Marie and have high hopes for adding back in some structure into the Parelli philosophy: conversation/checklist and 5+2 I am enjoying using. Also after the fall, starting back riding Sephira, I am grateful to Bethanna for passing ideas for safety my way and letting me ride in the ring while she ride to boost my confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment